Sixers forward Paul George consulting doctors as he considers procedures for groin and knee injuries
George's final decision is expected to be made early next week, a source confirmed. The Sixers star has been hampered by left groin soreness, right ankle soreness and a torn tendon in his left pinkie.

First it was Joel Embiid. Now the 76ers could be without Paul George.
George missed the last four games while consulting with doctors on treatment options for his ailing left groin and left knee. A source confirmed Thursday that those options include a possible procedure, and the decision is expected to be made early next week.
The news about the star forward comes after the Sixers announced Feb. 28 that Embiid’s season was over.
Embiid’s decision was made after the seven-time All-Star underwent further evaluation on his left knee. Embiid and the team determined the 7-foot-2 center was medically unable to play and would remain sidelined to focus on treatment and rehabilitation.
» READ MORE: Nick Nurse acknowledges drain of this Sixers season: ‘There’s no denying the disappointment’
Like the 2023 NBA MVP, George has been dealing with injuries since the preseason.
The 6-8 forward was sidelined three weeks after hyperextending his left knee, which led to a bone bruise, during an Oct. 14 exhibition game at the Atlanta Hawks. He suffered the same injury during the Sixers’ Nov. 20 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies.
He’s also been hampered by left groin soreness, right ankle soreness, and a torn tendon in his left little finger. George has missed 24 of the Sixers’ 65 games because of injury and load management. And he’s averaging just 16.2 points, the fourth-lowest average of his 15 NBA seasons.
“It’s super frustrating,” George said recently about the injuries. “Super frustrating, especially, coming in with big goals and what I wanted to accomplish and what the team wants to accomplish, and then to always have these setbacks. It’s super frustrating, I for sure feel it.
“But you know, all the bad luck, something has to change. That’s all I can kind of weigh on, is things will change. There are positives in all of it. I’ve just got to weather the storm.”
The 34-year-old had been taking painkilling injections to play while battling through his injuries.
George announced during the latest episode of Podcast P With Paul George that he was taking a step back from the podcast to focus on getting healthy and helping the Sixers turn things around. The decision came before the Feb. 26 loss to the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.
“It was more so just to focus on here,” George told the media after the game. “I haven’t been the healthiest. So, it’s just been putting a ton of work towards getting my body as healthy as possible, and the key focus of, obviously, being here and trying to turn things around here.
“The full focus is trying to get this team together, but we’ve got to give ourselves a chance. Take it one game at a time, but we’ve got to give ourselves a chance to see what we can do down the stretch.”
» READ MORE: Five years after the NBA — and the world — stopped, Sixers reflect on COVID shutdown: ‘It was a crazy time’
He played in the next three games before being sidelined to undergo the evaluations.
George signed a four-year, $211.5 million contract with the Sixers to form a Big Three with Embiid and Tyrese Maxey.
Walker has a concussion
In other news, Lonnie Walker IV was diagnosed with a concussion Thursday morning after hitting his head Wednesday in the loss to the Toronto Raptors. The shooting guard entered the NBA’s concussion protocol. The Sixers signed Walker to a two-year, $3.7 million contract on Feb. 21.